Dear cocoa-dev,
So I'm wondering how in the maze of sandboxed apps how to get my app to work
properly. What it does is wrap around pdf files so that they can be combined,
separated; etc. It doesn't actually change the original pdfs, just remembers
their locations, reads them in and then writes to a different pdf (as the user
requests).

In addition it opens a specific  wrapper on launch which contains standard
elements that a user might want to add to their pdf (blank pages, etc.). The
file is just a typical file that the program creates, stored at a location
provided by the user, so that they can add their own elements to this wrapper.

The first time the program is run, it doesn't find this special wrapper, asks
the user where they want it it, they pick a spot (home or documents), the
program creates a directory, copies the needed files out of its bundle,  it
opens the file, and all is well, the elements from the "fixings" wrapper appear
in a menu on the menu bar.

However, the second time the program is run, i.e., once the files have been put
in place and I try to access them,  I get a "257" error on
[[NSDocumentController sharedDocumentController] openDocumentWithContentsOfURL:
myurl display: YES error: &err]; Which seems to mean I don't have permission...

It doesn't matter where the user saves the file; I get the 257 error. I did all
of this because when I created the directory using the
NSHomeDirectoryForUser(NSUserName()) and submitted the application, Apple
complained and said I needed to ask the user where to put it; but if I do I get
a 257 subsequent times the program is run.

Any ideas on how to do this or get beyond the error code?

--Matthew