On Jun 23, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Matthew Weinstein <mwein...@kent.edu> wrote:

> Unfortunately that  undoes the automation idea. The time saving here is that
> by just re-saving the pdf, the app when the document is opened recombines it
> based upon the rules that the user set up. Basically you're forcing the user
> to recreate the sequence of files each time anew.

I believe "re-saving" the PDF should preserve your security-scoped bookmark, as
long as the saving app preserves the file's metadata before it overwrites the
contents. (Whether this works with safe-saving, I'm not sure. I believe it
should, but could be wrong.)

That said, could you use Automator and Folder Actions to implement your
automation? This kind of filesystem-based automation is useful right now, but
the trend definitely seems to be towards hiding the filesystem.

--Kyle Sluder