Dear List,

I asked this question in January but didn't get a reply. Since I haven't come
up with any good/solid ideas myself, I thought I'd ask again, in case this time
it triggers some thought.

I have an app which managed a bunch of files and presents these text files for
viewing and editing in NSTextViews. I have implemented a project-wide search
functionality which works fine, but with one problem. If the user changes the
text in one file after making a search, then the search results are no longer
valid for that file. A typical use-case is to make a search for a word or
phrase, then go through each result and modify it. Problem is, after the first
modification by the user, the subsequent results for that file are no longer
accurate/valid. A result constitutes the file that the match is in, and the
range within the text.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to how to update my search results
when the underlying source text changes? Do I have to listen for all changes
from the underlying text objects and try to adapt, or is there a better pattern
for doing this? Xcode does this nicely: no matter what changes you make in the
editor, the search results seem to be updated on the fly.

Cheers,

Martin