On 4, Jul, 2012, at 03:22 PM, Marco Tabini wrote:

>> Does anyone have any good suggestions as to how to update my search results
>> when the underlying source text changes? Do I have to listen for all changes
>> from the underlying text objects and try to adapt, or is there a better
>> pattern for doing this? Xcode does this nicely: no matter what changes you
>> make in the editor, the search results seem to be updated on the fly.
>
> Couple of random suggestions:
>
> * If you're using NSAttributedString, you can mark your search results by
> assigning custom attributes to specific ranges of text; as the text changes,
> those attributes will stick around and you can later find them using the
> attribute retrieval methods (I believe that's what Xcode does).

Just a follow up on this. I guess I would have to clear all text attachements
of a particular class from all files at the start of a search, right? Otherwise
the attachments will build up over time. I don't actually save attributed text
to disk (these are plain text files) but even so.  Does that make sense? I
wondering how computationally expensive this will turn out to be.

Martin