Thank you all for the ideas and input. In the end the text attachment idea
works perfectly. There's only one additional feature that would be nice: if a
search result is deleted from the textview (which means the attachment is
deleted) it would be nice to update the list of search results to remove the
deleted match. I guess I could get notifications of the text storage changing,
but that doesn't feel so nice. When should it stop observing the text storage?
Most of the subsequent changes may have nothing to do with the search results,
so checking for all text attachments each time the text storage changes feels
very heavy handed. Still some more thinking to do on that part. I've noticed
that Xcode doesn't update its search results when a match is deleted from the
text view, so I'm not alone.

Thanks again,

Martin