On Jul 22, 2012, at 9:29 PM, Gavin Stokes <stokest...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I struggled with this when getting into iOS programming and networking;
> everything's asynchronous, and you can't just have your UI locked up.  So
> what is my app to do while it's waiting?

Nothing. Just return from your event handler or whatever, so the UI can remain
responsive. Then when you're told the operation finished, do whatever you need
to do when it finishes.

Asynchronous programming means you'll be called back when things happen, and in
the meantime you should return control so other stuff can run. It doesn't mean
that you should go into an infinite loop trying to force something async to run
synchronously.

—Jens