What Ken, Fritz and Kyle are saying makes sense, but flies a little bit in the
face of what "asynchronous" often means.  (I won't quibble if Apple is doing it
their own way, they often do.)  It also doesn't explain why the same linked
executable behaves one way under Snow Leopard and another way under Lion, and
the documentation for [NSSound isPlaying] is written in a way that suggests the
caller of that method is talking directly to the receiver (an instance of
NSSound), not a message center somewhere; there is no hint that it cannot be
used anywhere.)

I appreciate the advice and will play some more, but I would be obliged if
someone at Apple would be willing to comment on what is going on (not clear if
Ken, Kyle, or Fritz are Apple folks), and if anyone has any pointers to Apple
documentation about what "asynchronous" means to them, I would be obliged.

Since my app has nothing to do while waiting for the sound to play, a polling
loop on "isPlaying" is actually a good deal less code (only two lines) than
setting up a delegate with "-sound:didFinishPlaying" implemented.

--  Jay Reynolds Freeman