> Since my app has nothing to do while waiting for the sound to play

I struggled with this when getting into iOS programming and networking;
everything's asynchronous, and you can't just have your UI locked up.  So
what is my app to do while it's waiting?  It's a fundamental programming
problem that you just have to start dealing with.  If you were dependent on
a network, it would be even more pervasive, because you never know when (or
if) something's going to finish.

Your best bet is to tackle this now and get used to planning for it in the
future.  It does get easier, but can still be tedious.