On Aug 10, 2012, at 10:22 PM, Charles Srstka wrote:

>> Tell me what exactly? That 32-bit is going away in 10.9? That doesn't
>> follow. That 32-bit will get dropped eventually? That was already obvious.
>

> It tells us that Apple is no longer putting effort into 32-bit, which in turn
> tells us that its days are almost certainly numbered.

By definition, if 32-bit will get dropped eventually it's days are numbered.

>> What it doesn't say anything about is the timing of the demise of 32-bit
>> support.
>
> Of course we don't know the exact timing, but it's entirely plausible that it
> could be removed in 10.9 or 10.10, and if you don't want to get a really rude
> surprise, you should be assuming that that is what will happen.

I say again, Apple's official 64-bit porting document states, right now, that
you may or may not want to move to 64 bit.  If Apple is planning on removing
32-bit support in the near future, they will be partly to blame for any rude
surprise to developers.  You can talk all you want about reading the tea leaves
to determine the time of 32-bit's last breath, but not every developer is doing
that. The ones who aren't, but are consulting the porting guide, have a
different understanding of the situation.

Best,

__jayson

Circus Ponies NoteBook - Introducing An App That Boosts Your Productivity
at Work or School, So You Get The Grades, Raises and Promotions You Want.

www.circusponies.com