On Aug 10, 2012, at 5:57 PM, Charles Srstka wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:44 PM, Jayson Adams <jay...@circusponies.com> wrote:
>
>> Except Apple itself says it might not make sense to do so.  From the 64-bit
>> Transition Guide:
>>
>> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/64bitPorting/indications/indications.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001064-CH206-TPXREF101
>
> That article is wildly out of date. Notice how it emphatically advises you
> *not* to compile your applications as 64-bit only, whereas 64-bit only is not
> only the default nowadays, but is required for all the latest additions Apple
> has made to the language (including, but not limited to, ARC).

Not everyone uses ARC, or the other recent additions Apple has made to the
language.

> It also advises that you should include PPC code in your binaries, which
> Xcode doesn't even let you *do* anymore.

This is not the first piece of Apple documentation to contain stale info.  It
is a leap to conclude that those portions invalidate the rest of the document.

I'm not trying to argue that you are wrong in your general conclusion about the
fate of 32-bit, because you don't know and I don't know either.  What I am
saying, though, is that for all of the 32-bit-the-sky-is-falling, the first
place a 32-bit straggler turns—the 64-bit porting guide—the beast itself states
upfront that you really may not want to make the transition after all.

Best,

__jayson

Circus Ponies NoteBook - Introducing An App That Boosts Your Productivity
at Work or School, So You Get The Grades, Raises and Promotions You Want.

www.circusponies.com