On 07/09/2012, at 4:36 AM, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:

> But I'm still using my other triggers because sometimes my document opens
> with no windows

Don't forget also that Cocoa will be creating instances of your document at all
sorts of odd times with Autosave and Versions in play. This can play havoc with
complex connections between elements of your app and throw up all sorts of
weird bugs. Extensive testing is needed to catch all of these (and one reason I
found using windowWillClose: was best for much of my tear-down in my case,
because I skip the set-up associated with windows if there aren't any).

--Graham