On Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Charles Srstka wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2012, at 10:01 AM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:
>
> > I must stress that this is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
> > But if people find Lion Autosave confusing enough by itself, do you think
> > Apple really wants two saving paradigms forever?
>
> There are certain types of apps for which autosave doesn't really make
> sense, though:
>
> - An app that's primarily a viewer rather than an editor doesn't have
> much use for autosave.

If it doesn't make any edits, then nothing will be saved.

> - An app that opens a particularly large or complex document type such
> that the save operation would take a large amount of time won't work very
> well in the autosave paradigm.

This problem already exists with the old timer-based autosave paradigm.
If saving is slow, you need to smarten your save algorithm.

Basically, there is no case in which the old save paradigm makes sense
and the new autosave paradigm does not. There might be poor user
experience either due to Apple's UX decisions or because the developer
did a naive port from timer-based autosave to more-frequent autosaving.
But the concept of "open a document and it saves it for me rather than
me having to save it myself" is eventually going to be the way users
expect _all_ apps that deal with documents to behave.

--Kyle Sluder