On Sep 7, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

>> - An app that opens a particularly large or complex document type such
>> that the save operation would take a large amount of time won't work very
>> well in the autosave paradigm.
>
> This problem already exists with the old timer-based autosave paradigm.
> If saving is slow, you need to smarten your save algorithm.

What if the file you're saving is 4 GB in size and you're saving it to a laptop
hard drive? No amount of "smartening" is going to fix that.

Also, some file types are just large and complex, and take a certain amount of
computing power to save no matter how "smart" you are. Have you ever tried
opening and editing a really high-resolution image file with Pixelmator with
autosave turned on? It gets almost unusable. With a video editor, it would be
even worse.

> Basically, there is no case in which the old save paradigm makes sense
> and the new autosave paradigm does not.

Sure there are, and I gave you four of them (which doesn't necessarily rule out
other cases that just aren't coming to mind at the moment).

Charles