Also: I recently went on a marathon watching Troll 2, Birdemic, Manos: The
Hands of Fate, and Plan 9 from Outer Space. It reminded me of the search
facility in the Apple Developer Forums. Jaw-dropping. Comically unqualified to
be what it claims it is. The search context is discarded when you refine your
search. The incremental search flashes likely matches out of sight, and there
is no way to recover for long enough to select them. The search engine knows so
little about the API that (to paraphrase my book) it suggests you meant some
term from veterinary medicine. And on and on.

That's quite aside from the fact that people ought to be able to get help on
Mac and iOS programming without paying a hundred bucks. I work at a university
where students have at least as many Macs as Windows machines; there are a lot
of students who want to learn, and have the pricey machines they'd need. $99
out of pocket is out of the question for them. It's a significant issue with
faculty, too.

And now I'll bow out of the mailing-list-versus-web-forum religious war.

        — F

--
Fritz Anderson -- Xcode 4 Unleashed: 4.5 supplement in the works --
<http://x4u.manoverboard.org/>