Hi,

Thanks for all the input.
The problem solved when I did this: [progressIndicator
setUsesThreadedAnimation:YES]; in the awakeFromNib method.
With out this the progress bar doesn't animate no matter if the sheet is in the
main thread or secondary or no heavy computations.

I can't have any rough estimates on how much memory i'd need to malloc, some
times it can be less than 1 MB and grow to 1GB. Also the tree is incremental,
so can not predict its final size.

Thanks again,
Nick