Thanks for this, I've had a look and it looks like quite a lot changed in and
after 10.6, it's probably best to rewrite that section completely. I'm a bit of
a beginner so looking for a tutorial for image manipulation. I googled it and
got to this page in the developer library but it hasn't been updated so I'm a
bit stuck. Has anyone got a source they could share for a tutorial / sample
image manipulation? Basically I'm looking to take an array of image paths and
create a single collage image from them.

http://developer.apple.com/library/Mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaDrawingGuide/Images/Images.html

Important: This chapter has not yet been updated to describe how images work in
OS X v10.6. Significant changes were made to image processing in OS X v10.6.

Many Thanks

Amy