On 12, Jan, 2013, at 12:13 PM, Mike Abdullah <cocoa...@mikeabdullah.net> wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2013, at 09:01, Martin Hewitson <martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I'm still struggling to find the cause of a "CoreData could not fulfil a
>> fault" error on saving an NSPersistentDocument (see other mail thread
>> "coredata count not fulfill fault after object delete").
>>
>> I'm wanting to check if some other object has a strong reference to the
>> deleted objects since this is a primary reason for the "could not fulfil a
>> fault" error.
>>
>> To help with this, I wondering if there is a way to get a list of all
>> objects in the run-time that have a strong reference to a particular object?
>> Is this something I can do somehow with instruments?
>
> The allocations instrument can show you all presently allocated objects. Find
> the object(s) you're interested in from that list and you can view its
> history of being retained and (auto)released, to figure out what is still
> holding onto it.

Hmm, this proved to be ineffective. Apart from the fact that Instruments shows
me the spinning beachball of woe for many seconds when searching for an object
address, the address of the core data object that was removed only appears once
in the list, as far as I can tell. Does it matter that I'm using ARC? I know
there are a number of places where strong references are held to the object
being removed, and I'm trying to ensure I 'release' them all. Is there a
programmatic way to inspect the runtime to see what's referencing objects? Or
do you have some clues how I can better use Instruments?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Martin