On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:16:47 -0600, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> said:
>On Feb 17, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:13:13 +0000, Mike Abdullah
>> <cocoa...@mikeabdullah.net> said:
>>>
>>> The allocations instrument can show you all presently allocated objects.
>>> Find the object(s) you're interested in from that list and you can view its
>>> history of being retained and (auto)released, to figure out what is still
>>> holding onto it.
>>
>> Actually, Instruments is no help in figuring out "what is still holding onto
>> it". That's not entirely unreasonable, since in a very real sense *no*
>> object is "holding onto" anything; there are only messages and the object's
>> own internal retain count.
>
>Well, you can't figure out what object is holding onto another object, but you
>can figure out which _body of code_ is holding onto an object.
>
>> But it sure would be nice if Instruments did give more info about this, so
>> that one could try to track down which retains are balanced by which
>> releases (and which retains, therefore, are unbalanced).
>
>Well, Instruments can no more divine which release balances which retain as it
>can know what object might "hold" what other object.

The words "which body of code is holding onto an object" don't have any meaning
to me, and I don't think they have any meaning to you either. You're just
waving your hands. If I wanted to wave my hands I wouldn't be using Instruments.

Some specific object did send "retain". It is that specific object's
responsibility eventually to send "release". That's how Cocoa memory management
works. Instruments *can* know, and *should* tell me, what specific object that
is. I wouldn't be here (i.e. using this aspect of Instruments) if this were not
the very problem I'm having, i.e. some specific object is not fulfilling its
responsibilities and I need to work out who it is. The fact that Instruments
doesn't tell me this is not just some mild forgivable accident. It is Teh Suck.
m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, <http://www.apeth.net/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!