On Feb 22, 2013, at 11:08 AM, Ken Thomases wrote:

> Well, I'm sorry that you're frustrated but many aspects of development
> require the application of human intelligence and can't be automated.  This
> is one of them.  If you actually go through the exercise of reviewing an
> object's retain/release history and matching up the retains and releases,
> you'll pretty quickly see that it's a difficult problem requiring an
> understanding of the code at a pretty high level.

I do agree, and I'm sorry that I allowed my frustration to show. Recall that
this came up because someone (Mike?) said that Instruments showed something
that in fact it does not show, which proves my point: one wishes it did, and
one projects those wishes onto Instruments, but the reality is otherwise. It
was this difference between the desire and the reality that provoked my
response. I've spent hours with a pencil and paper writing down all the info
that each call stack shows me, trying to match up retains and releases; this
seems a very crude interface and a poor use of my time, and I can't believe
that Instruments couldn't do *something* to help me, even if were just a better
GUI. And when there's a memory management bug in the framework (yes, this *can*
still happen, even under ARC), my pencil-and-paper method can fail to track
down the issue. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 5! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023562.do