I'm just getting started with python, so I'm certainly not qualified to comment
on this specific problem.  However, perhaps the following page may be useful to
others getting started with python:

http://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/installing_python_osx

The site gives detailed instructions on installing what was, when written, the
latest version of python (2.7, I believe), which didn't work for me until I
redid everything, following the steps given including those given by Simon in a
comment.

Boyd