I'm trying to use a toolbar with NSButtons as the views for the toolbar items.
I'm creating the views programmatically and ran into the following problem.

I add a NSSearchField a NSPopupButton and some NSButtons to the bar by creating
a NSToolbarItem and using setView: on them with the appropriate controls
(search field, popup and normal buttons)

If I add these and check "use small size" the NSButtons do not get scaled down.
The search field and the popup button though both do scale up/down correctly.
The funny thing is, if I add a NSButton with IB as a custom NSToolbarItem it
get's scaled down.

I read that NSToolbarItem uses "setControlSize" to scale the view. So I tried
to observe the cell for the keyPath "controlSize" and get notified just for the
NSSearchField and the NSPopupButton but the NSButton seems to not get the call.

Do I have to take special care with the buttons? Or did something else break
the scaling?

The initializations for the button item is as follows:

NSToolBarItem *item = [[NSToolbarItem alloc]
initWithItemIdentifier:itemIdentifier];
NSButton *button = [[NSButton alloc] initWithFrame:NSMakeRect(0, 0, 32, 32)];
[button setButtonType:NSMomentaryPushInButton];
[button setTitle:itemIdentifier];
[[button cell] setControlSize:NSSmallControlSize];
[[button cell] setBezelStyle:NSTexturedRoundedBezelStyle];
[button sizeToFit];
[item setView:button];
[button release];

___m i c h a e l   s t a r k e____
       geschäftsführer
       HicknHack Software GmbH
       www.hicknhack-software.com

___k o n t a k t____
       +49 (170) 3686136
       cont...@hicknhack.com

___H i c k n H a c k   S o f t w a r e   G m b H____
       geschäftsführer - maik lathan | andreas reischuck | michael starke
       bayreuther straße 32
       01187 dresden
       amtsgericht dresden HRB 30351
       sitz - dresden