If that's a POSIX error code it's reporting, then 35 maps to either EAGAIN
or EWOULDBLOCK.

I thought it might be you're hitting the max file limit (256 by default)
but that would cause open() to return EMFILE. However, pthread_create() can
return EAGAIN, and with 2000+ threads you might be hitting this limit:

"The system lacked the necessary resources to create another thread, or the
system-imposed limit on the total number of threads in a process
[PTHREAD_THREADS_MAX] would be exceeded."