Thanks all for the insightful responses. In my case I am using a monospaced
font, and everything looks pretty square.  The thing I did wrong as it
turned out was that I had a little padding on the top, making my CTView to
slightly shift down, and therefore making the final string disappear.

My code looks like this now:

CGSize frameSize = CTFramesetterSuggestFrameSizeWithConstraints(framesetter,

CFRangeMake(0, 0),

                                                                    NULL,

CGSizeMake(self.bounds.size.width,
CGFLOAT_MAX), &fitRange);

self.frame = CGRectMake(self.frame.origin.x,

                            self.frame.origin.y,

                            self.frame.size.width,

                            frameSize.height + PADDING_TOP);  <<===
correction for padding