On May 28, 2013, at 9:14 PM, Oleg Krupnov <oleg.krup...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The code in question is frequently used in many places so I think it's worth
> optimization.

Did you actually profile the app and find that a lot of time is spent in this
code?

> While I generally agree that premature optimization is evil, I do not
> understand why I cannot or shouldn't always keep in mind the cost of things I
> am using, and consider more efficient approaches, especially when they are
> simple. (This time it has turned out not simple and not even efficient, so I
> changed my mind).

Because the most important measure of time is the time you have available to
develop the app. Any time you spend optimizing something is time you don’t have
available to optimize a more significant piece of code, or add features, or fix
bugs. Also, optimized code is often more complex than KISS code, making it less
reliable, and harder to debug and improve.

Sometimes it’s really obvious that something is going to be a major bottleneck.
(Or it’s not obvious, but you’re enough of an expert in the domain to know from
experience that it will be.) And sometimes it’s almost as easy to do something
efficiently than to do it slowly. But most often it does pay off to do it the
simple way first and then go back and optimize only the things that are
important.

—Jens