On 2013 Jun 24, at 06:10, Michael Crawford wrote:
Scott,

How do you do it?  Honestly I want to know.

The best I've ever been able to come up with is that if someone always
writes the same kind of code, say repeatedly writing eCommerce sites
for different clients, then they can base an estimate for a new
project on experience with past project.

But that's not the way I've ever worked.  I always write completely
new things, that bear no relation at all to past projects, so I don't
have any meaningful basis for estimates.

My colleagues tell me I should know how to estimate.  I can see how it
would be helpful but I've never been able to figure out how to
actually do it.

I concur in both personal experience and wondering how some manage to estimate (with more or less windage and the occasional "planned miracle").

The big sticking point is that, when you're always doing something new, there are a number of points in the project when you have to do research, and repeated rounds of experimentation... only you never know how many cycles of experimentation will be required to arrive at a satisfactory solution.

It's not as though we haven't read a book or three on the subject of estimation (and the sections in the texts), but they seem to have a blind-spot.

Or do they simply avoid doing significantly new things, and instead restrict what they do to the well-known?