On 23 Jun 2013, at 11:38, Michael Crawford <mdcrawf...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> To me, it's not that you'd have to write all the code from scratch that
>> makes Core Data concerning, it's the fact that the format is undocumented.
>
>> If Apple published a complete specification for the format, I'd be willing
>> to use Core Data, but as it is, the prospect of having
>> one's own file format as a black box is a huge turn-off to me.
>

> Thanks for tip, I was unaware of that.
>
> Sure I can see how it's nice to use the Core Data API, but one would
> have to be completely out of one's tree to save end-user documents in
> a completely undocumented format, even if it were cross-platform.

I don't think you would have to be completely out of your tree. The precedent
is encapsulation - you should not care about internal layouts, only what the
API exposes it. Seems that is exactly what CD does. And I think CD does give
some extra discipline in modelling things correctly and making it easy to
persist things, so I think it's doing a lot for you, notwithstanding my
concerns that it might be more ER than relational. Most DBMSs also do not
publish their internal file formats because these can change and if the
abstraction is good - completely irrelevant. Thus application programmers
should be encouraged to be loose coupled on the internals of a system, only
using it in the published ways.

However, I can see your point that it is a concern that if Apple discontinues
CD that suddenly we have a whole lot of unreadable data and really anything
stored persistently should be cross-platform whether stored on disk, or
transmitted across a network. But perhaps to do that, just a small utility
program that uses to CD API to get the data will suffice.

But it is a little like the Carl Sagan records sent out on Voyager I (I think)
for aliens to enjoy - now how are they going to do that without a record
player? It will be like trying to decipher the Dravidian script of Mohinjo-Daro
(we got lucky with Hieroglyphics with the Rosetta Stone). Vint Cerf recently
stated that we might lose a lot of data because we lose the ability to
interpret it (not such a new thought - one of the threads of Godel, escher,
Bach).