On Jun 24, 2013, at 2:00 AM, Pax <45rpmli...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I can't see how it breaches the sandbox to load plugins from anywhere - no
> files are being modified (just code loaded from the plugin), and the plugin
> is subject to my application's sandbox privileges (and thus unable to do
> anything bad).  Surely, therefore, an application should be able to load a
> plugin from anywhere?

A sandboxed application isn't allowed to read any user data from outside the
sandbox without additional entitlements or user confirmation. It would be hard
for the sandbox enforcer to distinguish "reading a plugin from ~/Library" from
"reading the user's address book from ~/Library", and the latter is one of the
threats that the sandbox is supposed to stop.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler