Quincey,

> Each NSString has at least 4 bytes of overhead (the 'isa' pointer); each
> character is UTF-16; each object is a multiple of 16 bytes. Your values may
> not fit in the remaining 12 bytes of the smallest object (an input format
> something like '0.xe-nn', which isn't an unlikely format, wouldn't fit in 12
> bytes, even with only 1 significant digit in the mantissa).

Well, I store GLshorts, GLfloats and GLints. The GLFloat is formatted like
0.xyztuvw I think, never more than seven digits after the decimal separator.
But you’re right: I overlooked the UTF-16 default coding that doubles the size
every ascii string.

My initial reasoning was very (too) simple: I have a 20 MB file made up of
strings, if I store those strings in objects, even with a small overhead, it
should not top 30 or 40 MB. It turned out I was plainly wrong, at least the way
I implemented it.

> Actually, that's not so bad. 33-50MB instead of 20MB, for the objectified vs
> scalar representation, isn't unbearable, I suspect. However, the C array of
> scalars is probably the best choice.

Well, the plain C way, I suspect, is also quicker. With the decoding taking
around 30 seconds or so, I had better optimizing speed, too!

Cheers and thanks a lot once again!
Vincent