> I have a UITableView with first cell is not re-orderable and all other
> cells are having re-order handle. Also I have a UIRefreshControl on table
> view.
>
> UITableView cells are at 600 px height. When I click on re-order handle of
> any cell cell immediately starts moving downwards.

Right-click or left-click? What happens when you hover? [Readers: Yes, I know
this is a touch screen.]

> It's very hard to move a
> cell up. Is there any solution for this. I've tried even with a simple
> UITableView sample it's cells also tend to move downwards when size is
> large.
>
> Is there a solution? or am I doing something wrong here.

My guess is, you're loading up a single table with all the information your
application is to display, to save the effort of creating a detail view pushed
into a navigation controller from summary items in a master table. In my
childhood, this was called a lazy man's load.

I can't read the minds of the iOS designers, but what you're considering may be
an unanticipated use, for which they didn't make provision. The first thing I'd
do is consider whether your table has to display the whole content of every
represented item instead of summaries in a master-detail design. This isn't a
desktop environment — your screen size is limited and there are no shortcuts
for scrolling.

If the rows in your table are so large that you can only see part of one at a
time, a table is of little use to your users. If you can't see that what's on
the screen is a table, or compare at least some items, a table is pointless.

Plus: Added height requires the user to do more scrolling. If the table is not
short (and how would she know that?), she will flick rather than pan. If she
flicks, she is guaranteed to overshoot the information she is looking for.

Plus: If she has to reorder, she has little context to help her judge where to
drop, because she can see only the (possibly informative) top of one cell, and
the (probably uninformative) bottom of the one above it.

Move the full-detail display into another view if you possibly can, and reduce
the table items to enough of a summary that the user can understand what each
item is. If you were okay with not being able to see a whole entry under your
scheme, you should be okay with presenting only one entry at a time. If want to
afford browsing between entries, you have three solutions: Trust the master
table to tell the user enough that she can browse (it keeps the most items in
view), add arrows to navigate across items, or use a paged UIScrollView so the
user can flick back and forth among them.

I know answers that say you should redesign to eliminate the problem you're
asking about can be annoying. If you can tell us why you absolutely must do it
the way you describe, someone may decide helping you do it is worth the effort.

        — F