On 12 Nov 2013, at 8:00 pm, Quincey Morris
<quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the question is why you’re using ‘performSelector’ for this at all,
> other than historical inertia.

Hmm, that just about sums it up I suppose.

> Now, it would be more natural to use GCD for this — dispatch a block onto the
> main queue

While I can see the power and elegance of blocks, there’s something about them
that means they’re still not my go-to solution as much as they should be.
Probably the fact that every single time I need to use one I have to go back to
the fundamental documentation to figure out the syntax; they just don’t come
naturally.

> This is one of those things that’s almost harder to describe in words than it
> is to do in code.

Probably true, but something Jens said got me thinking, and in fact I have
added a solution that’s so easy I dunno why it didn’t occur to me before -
instead of the worker thread driving progress, get the progress to poll the
worker thread. Turns out that this is so simple my worker thread is doing far,
far less than it was to support progress, and the UI cannot go any faster than
a rate I set, and nothing is queued at all. Simples! (and thanks Jens for the
inspiration).

—Graham