Right, that seems obviously like fighting the SDK.

My suggestion is around rolling your own. IE, I would wire up and drop a
"UITableView" on a parent view controller, I wouldn't drop a
"UITableViewController" on a parent.

For the most part, UITVC is a convenience view controller. If it doesn't work
out of the box, not hard to roll your own and get the behavior you are looking
for ... Even still with Xibs.