> On Nov 26, 2013, at 6:06 PM, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:
>
> Augh, it's even worse than I thought. The embedded view controller doesn't
> get to set the navigation bar's items from IB. This is a terrible solution.

Yeah, this is getting more and more tedious.

My guess is there's a lot of code out there that relies on UITVC.view pointing
at the table view. You'll notice they did not repeat that mistake with
UICollectionViewController. But even if they were to divorce the view and
tableView properties, you shouldn’t muck with the internal layout of a view
controller’s view hierarchy unless explicitly documented.

Perhaps your best bet at this point is to ditch UITVC and static cells
altogether, and file a set of radars asking for 1) static cell support for
non-UITVC-controlled table views, 2) separation of UITVC.view from
UITVC.tableView, 3) explicit permission override -[UITVC
viewWillLayoutSubviews] to do custom layout without calling super.

My mantra is that storyboards are the bindings of iOS. They get you 80% of the
way to covering 80% of use cases; but if you fall off the golden path, you get
to backtrack all the way.

--Kyle Sluder