On Monday, February 10, 2014, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2014, at 7:09 PM, Rick Mann wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any references for the need to present a custom EULA
> when our app launches (after the user has downloaded it)? I know that Apple
> and the App Store provide a mechanism for providing a custom EULA, but
> people in my company are considering requiring the user to agree to it when
> the app launches. I'd really like to avoid this annoying user experience.
> >
> > I tried googling, but found very little in the way of advice or common
> practice.
> >
> > What do you guys do?
>
> It's not clear to me if you want this for an app distributed through the
> App Store or outside of it.  If through the App Store, it's prohibited.
>  From <
> https://developer.apple.com/appstore/mac/resources/approval/guidelines.html
> >:
>
> > * 2.20 Apps that present a license screen at launch will be rejected

I always interpreted this clause to mean that you can't present a screen
asking for a license screen, not a screen showing the EULA. But I suppose
that it could be interpreted in this fashion.

What's funny is that Xcode - distributed through the Mac App Store - does
show a license screen at first launch. This would mean that Apple is
breaking its own rules, if in fact that clause means what you say.

But yes, the asker should clarify whether this is for the MAS or not.