Hi all,

Some of my customers running on Mavericks are having problems with "too many
open files" errors. Raising the limit does solve the problem, but I've noticed
that on 10.6, at idle, my app opens about 47 files, none of them gui graphics
files. On Mavericks, the very same build of the app opens 102 files and keeps
them open for the duration of the process existence. The difference is the
graphics files used by the gui. There are no .png files opened on 10.6 while
the app is at idle, but on Mavericks we have all of these taking up file
descriptors (partial lsof output below). I don't directly open any of these
files, and the only visible icons at the time are the 15 main toolbar buttons.

So is there a way to change this behavior and close these files? This product
is currently built using Xcode 3.2.6. Would upgrading to the latest Xcode have
any effect?

Thanks,
Michael

lsof output:

COMMAND   PID    USER   FD     TYPE             DEVICE  SIZE/OFF    NODE NAME
Identity  275 michael  txt      REG                1,1       546 2633476
/Applications/Identity Finder.app/Contents/Resources/status_ssn.png
Identity  275 michael  txt      REG                1,1       433 2633454
/Applications/Identity Finder.app/Contents/Resources/status_credit-card.png
Identity  275 michael  txt      REG                1,1       593 2633472
/Applications/Identity Finder.app/Contents/Resources/status_password.png
Identity  275 michael  txt      REG                1,1       577 2633450
/Applications/Identity Finder.app/Contents/Resources/status_bank-acct.png
Identity  275 michael  txt      REG                1,1       545 2633458
/Applications/Identity Finder.app/Contents/Resources/status_drivers-license.png
Identity  275 michael  txt      REG                1,1       537 2633452
/Applications/Identity Finder.app/Contents/Resources/status_birthdate.png
...and many more...