On Apr 8, 2014, at 16:15 , Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> IIRC, the AppKit release notes for 10.9 (or 10.8?) talk about behavior
> changes in +[NSImage imageNamed:]. Putting that together with what you’re
> saying, it may be that it now memory-maps the image data instead of copying
> it into heap space. That would be more memory efficient but has the side
> effect of consuming a file descriptor.

What the release notes for 10.9 actually say is:

> "Prior to Mac OS 10.9 images loaded through +[NSImage imageNamed:] were
> retained for the lifetime of the application. For applications linked on 10.9
> and later this is no longer the case. Images loaded through +[NSImage
> imageNamed:] will still be cached for a brief time.”

which suggests less caching, not more, though file descriptor usage could still
be implicated.

The other thing is, in the past when I inadvertently used up all the file
descriptors, the limit was about 8000 descriptors. If we’re talking about even
a couple of hundred descriptors here, it seems likely that whatever’s using
descriptors indiscriminately is elsewhere in the app. (Though of course
avoiding the waste of a couple of hundred is worth doing too.)