Are you on iOS 7? You're describing an iOS 6 behavior. Doing the following on
iOS 7 (in -viewDidLoad):

    self.navigationController.navigationBar.tintColor = [UIColor redColor];

has no effect other than changing the text within the bar items. Under iOS 6 it
changed the tint of the entire navigation bar.
-Carl