On 2014 Jul 31, at 09:05, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:

> One thing I just noticed is that NSWindowController's 'document' property is
> not actually documented as KVO-compliant.  Maybe that's my problem... but
> I've been binding through it for over a decade now!

That may well be the real problem, Sean.

On 2014 Jul 30, at 13:33, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:

> - the NSObjectController binds its 'managedObjectContext' binding to:
>   File's Owner.windowController.document.managedObjectContext

In a similar situation, I solved the “bindings burp” (what I call that nasty
message you copied from the console) by inserting *another* object controller
into the bindings “path”, to control the *document*.

One of the dangers of Cocoa Bindings is that it is very easy to bind long key
paths like

   File’s Owner.windowController.document.managedObjectContext.foo.bar.whatever

that work fine in your "proof of concept" but burp or crash when torn down in
some edge cases.  I’ve found liberal usage of object controllers to be the
answer.