> On 15 Sep 2014, at 10:47 am, Charles Jenkins <cejw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Now on to the next thing that doesn’t seem to work according to the
> documentation…
>
> These are the first few lines of my function which will save my document data:
>
>  override func fileWrapperOfType(
>    typeName: String!,
>    error outError: NSErrorPointer
>  ) -> NSFileWrapper!
>  {
>    if self.theFileWrapper == nil {
>      let noWrappers: [AnyObject] = []
>      self.theFileWrapper = NSFileWrapper( directoryWithFileWrappers:
> noWrappers )
>
>    }
>

> When I start typing “directoryWithFileWrappers,” Xcode displays its
> suggestion list showing the prototype:
>
> NSFileWrapper( directoryWithFileWrappers: [NSObject : AnyObject] )
>
> I think I could send nil instead of bothering to create an empty array, but
> whatever.
>
> Anyway, Xcode gives me the prototype which agrees with Apple’s documentation,
> and I code according to it. Then Xcode marks the line as an error: “Missing
> argument for parameter ‘options’ in call,” and my project won’t build.
>
> Is there an error in my code, or is this a problem I should report to Apple?
> And in the latter case, what’s the best way?

There’s an error in your code, that’s not an array, it’s a dictionary. [
NSObject : AnyObject ] so your noWrappers is of the wrong type, you don’t even
need to make it a variable either if you don’t want

NSFileWrapper( directoryWithFileWrappers: [:] )

note the colon

or

let noWrappers:[NSObject:AnyObject]=[:]
NSFileWrapper( directoryWithFileWrappers:[:] )

or

let noWrappers = [NSObject:AnyObject]()
NSFileWrapper( directoryWithFileWrappers:[:] )

or a number of other versions depending on how verbose you wish to be.

Please feel free to file a bug report about the terrible error messages the
swift compiler tosses out which are entirely unhelpful and often lead in
entirely the wrong direction. These days I treat almost any error message from
the swift compiler as if it says ‘Syntax Error’ and don’t try to use the
message to find the issue.