On Dec 29, 2014, at 16:27 , SevenBits <sevenbitst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The thing is, I am not using iCloud and that entitlement isn't even present
> in my entitlements file. Those messages are from just opening the
> NSOpenPanel, and doing anything else; clearly, Powerbox is flipping out.

AFAIK, NSOpenPanel originally (that is, in 10.8.6 or so) did *not* use Powerbox
in non-sandboxed apps. Whether that has changed since then, I don’t know.

> Here are the messages that appear to be
> relevant:
>
> 12/29/14 7:09:19.969 PM Mac Linux USB Loader[257]: view service marshal for
> <NSRemoteView: 0x7fef9b405e50> failed to forget accessibility connection
> due to Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "Couldn’t communicate with
> a helper application." (The connection was invalidated from this process.)
> UserInfo=0x60800046e380 {NSDebugDescription=The connection was invalidated
> from this process.}
> timestamp: 19:09:19.969 Monday 29 December 2014
> process/thread/queue: Mac Linux USB Loader (257) / 0x103535000 /
> com.apple.NSXPCConnection.user.endpoint
> code: line 2972 of /SourceCache/ViewBridge/ViewBridge-46.2/NSRemoteView.m
> in __57-[NSRemoteView
> viewServiceMarshalProxy:withErrorHandler:]_block_invoke
> domain: communications-failure

I vaguely recall seeing these messages reported in a Forum post recently, in
relation to a NSOpenPanel crash, suggesting the IPC here *is* to Powerbox,
which I find a little odd.

This smells a little bit like a problem where functionality depends on what SDK
the app is linked against.

— What happens, if your app is linked against the 10.10 SDK (deployment target
10.8+), if you link it against the 10.9 SDK instead?

— Or, if your app is linked against the 10.9 SDK  (deployment target 10.8 or
earlier), what happens if you link it against the 10.8 SDK instead? (This means
using an earlier Xcode, though.)

Or, even simpler, perhaps you’ve accidentally used 10.10 API somewhere that
doesn’t exist earlier. Building against the 10.9 SDK should uncover such
errors, too.