On 01 Jan 2015, at 02:50, Jack Brindle <jackbrin...@me.com> wrote:
> You might want to extend that. The header file indicates that containsString:
> _only_ is available in OS X starting with 10.10 and iOS starting with 8.0. I
> would expect this to crash, or at least behave very poorly, under any prior
> OS since the call simply doesn’t exist there.
>
> Interesting that the only place it appears to be documented by Apple is in
> the header file. It is widely “documented” at various web sites, but using
> any call based on that is definitely rolling the dice. The central rule is
> that if you are releasing code for others to run, be sure to use calls that
> Apple documents to be available for the earliest targeted OS.
>
> I’d replace it with a more suitable call, which appears to be
> rangeOfString:options: The header file indicates it should be called with no
> options. in fact you probably should read the NSString header file info for
> that call. It is somewhat interesting.

 A good workaround is probably to create your own equivalent call with an
identical signature in a category and just replace all calls to containsString
with that:

@implementation NSString (SBContainsStringBackwardsCompat)

-(BOOL) sb_containsString: (NSString*)inString
{
        return [self rangeOfString: inString options: 0].location != NSNotFound;
}

@end

(Warning: code written in mail, never compiled) Then, when your baseline rises
to 10.10, you can just do a search-and-replace of sb_containsString: to
containsString:.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
“The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere...”
http://zathras.de