On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Quincey Morris <
quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

> — Make sure you *start* by investigating whether the tracking area options
> are configured correctly. You’re wasting your time if you go off looking
> for interactions between “sibling” tracking areas if in fact you just put
> the tracking area’s rect in the wrong place.

I have single one custom view and its tracking area covers the whole [self
bounds]. I set the tracking area in awakeFromNib and it works. Btw.,
"Quickies for NSView" has a section for "Setting a cursor for a view" which
works, too.

— If you can’t get it to work with the button, try ignoring the button, and
> add a custom view as a sibling of the text view. If that works, then
> perhaps the button is doing something itself that’s interfering with your
> intentions.
>
> — Re-arrange your view hierarchy so that the button [or your custom view]
> is still a sibling of the text view, but does not overlap it at all.
> Install a tracking area that (say) changes the pointer to a pointing
> finger, so it’s really obvious when it works right. If it doesn’t, the
> problem is nothing to do with the text field. There’s no point in going on
> to the next step until this works.

It works as expected: the custom view shows one pointer, textview the
other. They views don't overlap.

> — Then, move the button so that it partially overlaps the text field. You
> should now be able to see if there are any side-effects of crossing into
> and out of the overlap. If there are, you’ll have to do extra work to find
> a solution.

And that is where it stops working, no need to visit Neptune. The part of
custom view over the textview stops displaying the defined cursor, at shows
I-beam cursor instead.