On 12 Jan 2015, at 10:52, 2551 <2551p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Given that my licences are being generated with OpenSSL in the FastSpring
> website,

Didn't FastSpring have an SDK that you just drop into your app to validate
their licenses?

> does that mean I HAVE TO use OpenSSL to validate them? I'm thinking the "DUH"
> answer here has to be "YES", but given my lack of knowledge about this topic,
> I'm taking nothing for granted.

 OpenSSL is just a security library that implements several standards and
algorithms. You can use any other library that implements the same standard and
algorithm as you are using. I.e. Windows AFAIK has its own security library,
yet can still read browser certificates that are (were?) validated using
OpenSSL on Mac and other platforms.

 LibreSSL is essentially OpenSSL, just a fixed version, so you should just hear
"LibreSSL" when anyone suggests using OpenSSL for anything and you'll be fine.
Security.framework is what Apple recommends and supports, so sounds like a good
idea. The only problem is that it is very limited. If it does what you need it
to (i.e. offers whatever algorithm FastSpring use), it's probably the best
choice as long as you don't plan going cross-platform anytime soon.

-- Uli