>> Or you go find documentation on CocoaFob’s file format,
>
> Tried that…

There is no file involved, it’s just a string containing user name and whatever
else you need to verify the license. It is described in CocoaFob README and
there is a small sample available as well.

>> which I’m sure is available,
>
> It it were, and had I found it, or could make sense of it, I wouldn't be here.
>

>> and you work out how to turn that string back into binary data, and you use
>> your public key to ‘verify’ it by doing the reverse of what was done to
>> generate it.
>
> BINGO! That's my question. i.e., "How is this done?”
>

>> You mentioned earlier that CocoaFob seemed to be a little unloved. Surely if
>> FastSpring is still supporting it…

I use CocoaFob in my apps and I consider it stable, so perhaps not entirely
‘unloved’ :-)

> Roland, you have understood the whole thing absolutely perfectly. My problem
> is I can't work out the "turn it back into binary data and verify it" bit.
> However, the last quote above is perhaps the key (no pun intended). Rather
> than annoying you good folks, and trying to get you to reverse engineer
> something you're not familiar with first hand, I should really be asking
> FastSpring Support.
>
> It's not like I haven't considered this before; it's just that their docs
> (such as they are) on this all just point to 3rd party links, which are
> either dead (AquaticPrime) or point to stuff full of deprecations (the
> CocoaFob repository I cloned from their link had 38 deprecations in it , and
> that was AFTER I did all Xcode's automatic attempts for ARC conversion etc).
> Also, I figured this is a Cocoa problem not a FastSpring service problem, but
> I'm flat out of road to travel here without someone giving me specifics.

There is a `no_openssl` branch of CocoaFob which uses SecurityFramework instead
of OpenSSL and shouldn’t have any deprecations. I should merge it into master
at some point and abandon support for old OS X versions.

The main repository is https://github.com/glebd/cocoafob

> Anyway, look guys. I appreciate the help. I'm just going to throw this at
> FastSpring and see what they come back with.

You can throw it at me as well, what with me being the author of CocoaFob and
all (actually, more like co-author now that quite a few people have contributed
to it). I worked closely with FastSprint a few years ago to get them to support
CocoaFob and so far it has been working perfectly for me and a few other people.