Hi list,

Since NSCell is apparently on the way out, I've been trying to build a new
control I need using views. It's a cut-down spreadsheet-alike grid, similar to
MBTableGrid here: https://github.com/brendand/mbtablegrid

Unfortunately, I am running into the to-be-expected performance trouble with
keeping a couple of hundred subviews in my control at the same time. It
particularly hurts when scrolling. Stuff I've tried includes:

- Removing the off-screen views when possible (still leaves about 150 on screen)
- Keeping a queue of reusable views to avoid allocating new ones
- Attempting to have one view per grid item type and treat it like an NSCell
(i.e., lockFocus into the parent view and draw there)

Clearly a smooth-scrolling view-based grid is possible - after all, NSTableView
can do it. It's a shame I can't use it for this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve decent drawing/scrolling
performance here?

- Ben

PS. I have tried using/subclassing NSTableView and have filed a bug for the
functionality that I'm after (rdar://17406314 <rdar://17406314> marked as dupe
of rdar://2778108 <rdar://2778108>).