I have it mostly working now.  Thanks for your help.

tl;dr: my .xib's were really messed up, it probably should never have
worked but the problems became more apparent when I refactored a
single large, rather messy source file.

In the beginning I did not use a Navigation Controller; I "added" that
later however I left in a .xib that I should have deleted.  In
addition I implemented the Nav. Con. only for iPhone, it was when I
went to add support for iPad that everything went south.

It was helpful and informative to validate my IBOutlets with
assertions.  Now my code has lots of assertions, I can leave them
there maybe they'll find trouble later.

I found what I believe to be an XCode 6.2 bug, I will file a report
after I regress it a but more.  I had a custom called called
"LifeIPhoneViewController", but when I entered the name, it was always
saved as "UIViewController".

Once I noticed the problem I was completely unable to get the exact
text "LifeIPhoneViewController" to stick;  "LifeIPhone" was OK, as was
any length of string that started with an alphabetic character.
"LifeIPhoneViewControlle" without the final "r" would be saved.

Not noticing this for quite a long time was a good part of my problem.
I moved back to XCode 6.0.1 until I resolved it.  I renamed that class
to "LifePhoneViewController".

I think the text field is attempting to validate the entered text but
getting very confused somehow; or maybe it is inappropriate code
reuse, in that something that wasn't meant to validate really is.

I managed to borrow the $99.00 for The Apple Tax.  I'm going to a job
fair tomorrow with twenty potential employers; I hope to demo Warp
Life running on my iPad:

   http://www.warplife.com/life/

It is my take on the Cellular Automaton known as Conway's Game of
Life; I've been into it since 1972.

Thanks Again,

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford, Consulting Software Engineer
mdcrawf...@gmail.com

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.