On Apr 28, 2015, at 12:15 PM, Quincey Morris
<quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2015, at 09:45 , William Squires <wsqui...@satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> shows 15 rows
>
> You keep saying “shows”, but you don’t say what this means. A table view can
> only “show” as many rows as can fit between its top and bottom bounds. The
> rest are “shown” by scrolling the view.
>
> So, how many rows can fit on the screen? Assuming that’s less than 20, does
> every visible row “show” content, or are some of the visible rows blank? If
> you try to scroll the view, is there no scroll bar and no scrollability? If
> you can scroll it, do blank rows appear at the end?
>
> TBH, it sounds like you’ve forgotten that UITableView doesn’t instantiate
> cell views for every row in the table, only for the visible rows plus enough
> nearby rows to make scrolling work smoothly. The rest are instantiated lazily
> as you scroll.

  In this case, it means all the rows that can be viewed; not only those that
show up at the beginning, but those you can scroll to. Only 13 (or 15, for the
ObjC project) are ever available. All the rows show content (namely, the
strings in the initialized array, 'dwarves')
  Interestingly enough, if I recreate this project on Xcode 5 on 10.8.5, all
the rows (20) are shown, plus a few blank ones at the end, if I select "iPad"
as the simulator target. This may be because this earlier version doesn't
support retina, and so the entire "screen" of the simulator is shown. In the
original versions, (running on Xcode 6.something on 10.10.?) the whole
simulator screen is taller than my iMac's screen can display, even for "iPhone
5s" as the simulator target, thus I have to scroll the table view to see the
remaining UITableViewCell instances.
  If I select "iPhone Retina (4-inch)" (again in the Xcode 5 project), I no
longer get all 20 cells, and - in fact - the last cell visible, "Dwalin", is
cut off so you can't see all of the cell, even with the (table) view scrolled
down all the way. This problem appears to have something to do with Retina
support/simulation.