> On May 6, 2015, at 8:36 AM, Uli Kusterer <witness.of.teacht...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> So you're not setting a constraint on the *document* view? How do you expect
> it to know how to constrain that view otherwise?

The size of the document view is fundamentally unrelated to the size of the
clip or scroll view — the whole point of having a scroll view is that you have
an arbitrarily large document! So I wouldn’t expect the scroll view to be
trying to constrain the size of the document view at all. The app code is in
charge of deciding how big the document view is, based on the content it
displays.

[OK, in some cases the width of the content view is limited to the width of the
clip view. Not in my case though; it scrolls horizontally as well as
vertically.]

> IIRC you need to implement updateConstraints to create proper constraints, or
> intrinsicContentSize, or maybe both.

I’ve never seen the intrinsicContentSize property before (partly because it’s
not defined in NSView.h.) Reading the docs for it, it makes sense that I’d
override it. And searching the docs for that name I found the “Auto Layout
Guide”, which looks very useful but which I wouldn’t have found otherwise
because I didn’t know to look for the keyword “auto layout” (everywhere else
it’s called “constraints”…)

—Jens