> On 6 May 2015, at 09:21, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 5, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Roland King <r...@rols.org
>> <mailto:r...@rols.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Constrain the scrollview to something above it if it needs it, if it’s the
>> whole window, probably doesn’t.
>> Constrain the clipview to all 4 sides of the scrollview.
>> Constrain your view to the top, right and left of the clipview but not the
>> bottom.
>> Override the clipview and return isFlipped=YES
>
> I was assuming that the "Editor > Embed In > Scroll view" command would set
> things up to basically work. (The way it used to in the old days.) Whereas
> the reality is that IB creates the enclosing views for me, but then helpfully
> avoids actually setting up any of the constraints they need? WTF?
>
> Also, where does one go to learn that the above constraints are needed? Is
> this just knowledge picked up through trial and error?
>
> I reallllly don't want to sound like one of those old farts grousing about
> the old days, but when I learned Cocoa programming in 2000 I was blown away
> by how easy everything was and how well IB worked. If I were starting out
> now, I don't think I'd feel the same way.

I think we discussed the last time whether or not that counted as a bug, that
it didn’t add the constraints for you. I’m on the fence about that one and
can’t find the last discussion. Perhaps setting the constraints up for a
‘usual’ layout of vertically scrolled content would not be unreasonable.

One of the things you ‘pick up’ as you learn autolayout is that when frame
sizes disappear to {0,0} that often means you have an ambiguous layout and you
need more constraints. Autolayout does have a learning curve but once you start
thinking in the right terms it’s not that hard, until you try using it for
animation, at which point I end up tearing my hair out on OSX at least. The
constraints editor in IB has become an awful lot better since autolayout
originally showed up, I now mostly find it fairly quick to look at my layouts
and get a mental picture of how the constraints work.