> On 3 Jun 2015, at 10:19 am, Michael David Crawford <mdcrawf...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> If their coding conventions are
> the sort that are likely to lead to correct code

The reason for coding style guidelines is a) correctness b) maintainability. If
it’s just a fetish that the chief developer has and he can’t back it up with
reasoned argument then that’s suspect.

Having been handed several uncommented and undocumented messes and left to sort
it out a couple of times in my career I’m very sensitive to the needs of
developers coming to a codebase cold. I try to write code in such a way that I
imagine a developer who’s never seen it before could get up to speed in a
relatively short time, even if 99% of the time that developer is me, several
years removed. There’s nothing worse than wasting hours wondering “what the
hell was I thinking?” instead of just reading a comment that explains what I
was thinking.

—Graham