Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
Giacomo Pati wrote:

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Marc Portier wrote:

Christian Haul wrote:

On 06.Dec.2002 -- 04:07 PM, Marc Portier wrote:

Giacomo, Sylvain,

I see my remark wasn't that stupid after all (taking as an
argument the fact the statistic unlikeliness of having exact
equal idiots) Sorry, for not earlier reading deeper down the
thread though...

only I'm not ready to give in yet...

is making a continuation really atomicly linked to sending a
page?  Your argumentation makes me see that:
Rather then 2 there are 3 concerns covered in the sendPageAnd...
I guess it's more like
makeAContinuationRef_And_UseItToSendPage_And_SafeStateForNextRequest
:-)

The problem is that you need to have something to place on the page
that links to the continuation id. Thus you need to have your
continuation before sending the page. Hence suspending and sending is
one atomic operation.

    Chris.

Now I see it: when the page is sent the links are available to be
clicked upon and thus the 'state' should be there.

I only considered the creation part ATM (and there I argumented
that for creating the URI-links you don't need to save the state
yet)

Think I got it now, so we are back to the straightforward naming
discussion... thinking back of my highschool-basic-time this
kinda boils down to finding the equivalent of

 0 CLS
10 PRINT "This is only out:"
20 INPUT "This prompt asks you to enter something:" , answer

which would make me advocate

for the output only:
  sendPage("name-o-page") or even
  printPage(...) or
  echoPage(...)

for the input kind of page
  getFormInput("name-o-form") or
  getFormReply(...)

And thus we are back to my lastly proposed method names:

   sendPage( page ) // without waiting

   getAnswerFor( page )
or
   getReplyFor( page )

Hmmm, what happens if I do

sendPage("foo")
getAnswerFor("bar")

???

I think that sendPageAndWait() *is* atomic once you get it. Separating the two doesn't sound like SoC anymore if you can mess up like above, it becomes FoC (fragmentation of concerns) which is bad

good argument, but do you only solve this with naming?

sendPageWhateverSuffixThatDoesntWait("foo");
sendPageWhateverSuffixThatDoes("bar");

or
sendLastPage();
sendNextPage(); //sorry, wasn't the last after all?

would offer you the same dillema

as would even:
sendPageWhateverSuffixThatDoesntWait("foo");
sendPageWhateverSuffixThatDoesntWait("bar");

a discussion we also had earlier in the thread...
and which you pointed out so clearly with the remark that *this all* keeps on being a servlet generating a simple response (not a screen we can add a line to)

The question Michael posed keeps on being not solved:
On 06.Dec.2002 -- 11:09 AM, Michael Melhem wrote:
On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:45:38PM -0800, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> "Finish" what? The problem with that is that you could still do things > after the page was sent back to the client. Advanced users might want > to use this fact to do all sorts of nasty things.
Interesting, didnt think of that. So does this mean you can send
multiple pages back to the client without client intereaction.. ?
Anyone?
For me, as for Miles Elam:
I don't mean to butt in when I haven't contributed to flow, but as I will be a user of this API, obscure function semantics aren't going to make my life easier when I teach others how to use it.
regards,
-marc=
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]